Bible Study Lesson – October 16, 2019 ~ 7:30 pm
James, the brother of Jesus, writes a letter to believers that had been scattered by persecution providing them with a series of tests by which one may can use to determine if their faith is true or false. Join us on Facebook Live every Wednesday as we navigation the inspirational and challenging book of James.
Lesson 5: Temptation Doesn’t Deserve Its Place
- What problems has James addressed up to this point?
- What happens when we endure trials for the sake of Christ (1:12)?
- How are we tempted (1:13-14)? Who can we blame for our failures?
- What happens when we give in to our own desires (1:15)? How does our desires relate to the problems that James has already addressed?
- In contrast to temptation and sin, what produces good things (1:2-4)?
We have a say in the progression of events in our lives – it all has to do with the doors we open and the ones we close. Overcoming sin happens when we choose not to open the doors that lead to it; hence Jesus tells us to pray, “lead us not into temptation” (Matthew 6:13). Choose the path that keeps you away from sin and leads toward faith and Jesus.
October 23, 2019 – Order Out of Chaos . . . Avoiding Deception (James 1:16-18)