Bible Study Lesson – December 10, 2019 ~ 7:30 pm
James, the brother of Jesus, writes a letter to believers that had been scattered by persecution providing them with a series of tests by which one may can use to determine if their faith is true or false. Join us on Facebook Live every Wednesday as we navigate the inspirational and challenging book of James.
Lesson 5: Blessed Are The Humble, For They Will Inherit Wisdom (James 3:13)
- How do we know that a person is wise?
- In what ways does James 3 reflect the theology articulated in Proverbs 15:32-16:7? How does it explain the connection between wisdom and humility?
- Why does someone have to be humble to be wise, and in what ways does being wise articulate humility?
Lesson 6: Flaws On The Mend (3:14-16)
- James 3:14-16, like this entire passage, is cast in light of how teachers and leaders should act. Considering this, what is the danger of “bitter jealousy” and “selfish ambition?”
- In what ways can leaders “tell lies against the truth” (the good news of Jesus Christ)? How do we identify the “unspiritual” or “demonic” (3:15)? With what does James juxtapose this phrase?
- What happens when someone seeks earthly wisdom instead of God’s wisdom (3:16)? In what ways is the effect obvious?
Lesson 7: Wisdom’s Test (James 3:17)
- How does a wise person act?
- What particular thing do wise abstain from?
Lesson 8: Reflecting God’s Image (James 3:18)
- What is righteousness? Look it up in a concordance.
- Being made in God’s likeness is directly connected to the idea of being a “son of God” (Matthew 5:9). Being a son of God means being part of God’s family (that is, being like Him). What does Jesus say about peacemakers in Matthew 5:9?
- How is our wisdom, or lack thereof, connected to our ability to reflect God’s image to others? Why are all who teach especially called to this standard?
James 1:5 declares “if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” Have you asked God for wisdom today?
December 17, 2019 – The War Within (James 4:1-6)